Thursday, December 10, 2009

Holiday Bangle

In a slightly subversive nod to the holidays, I made the following:



Not so subversive you may say.



I guess not, but I couldn't bring myself to use the proper term nor the rougher euphemisms "frickin' " ,"freakin' "or even "friggin' ". Just a little ennui on my part not a full on hating of the season.

Hmm. Words are funny. "Subversive" - My little bracelet doesn't mean I want to overthrow, destroy or corrupt Christmas (as dictionary.com defines it). Just want to poke at the falseness of certain excesses in the more secular rituals affiliated with the season. I guess its then a gentle irony.

Can irony be gentle? The defining terms of "mean-spirited" and/or "disrespectful" seem to have barnacled themselves to "irony" lately.

I'm not some Stepford-bred Pollyanna. I am, indeed, a fairly damned sarcastic individual, mean-spirited and disrespectful in my own right, but even I don't get the hate seething just beneath the surface of some of the "ironic crafts" out there.

Socio-politico-xenophobic-ethnocentric commentary - all good. Land of the free, home of the brave, holding rights to be self-evident and all. Just seems you shouldn't have to hate something to have fun with what you think is wrong with it.

Matter of degrees? or simply lily-livered posturing?

Ok. No one asked to see any of the fitful stream of consciousness I must endure in my waking hours. I'll stop now.

Happy Flippin' Holidays

Hook on!
C

No comments: